Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic changes when trying to set up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOG61

Technical User
Sep 18, 2005
GB
I have a weird problem, this has happened on odd occasions before but my Computer crashed yesterday and I have had to reload all my programmes. I had Windows Home Edition on computer updated to Professional. When I try to load the update disk I am asked for serial number, but before I can enter anything a box comes up to say I have entered wrong number, this box just keeps coming up every second, as fast as I click to close it comes up again and again until the screen fills completely with small boxes.
If I go to add a printer, before I can select anything the next instruction comes up, and this continues right through until I stop the attempt, this has happened in the past (The printer set up problem)
SOG61

Weird - I think I would suspect a failing keyboard or mouse? Try swapping them out if you have any spares available

Thanks stduc the Computer is at my workshop so will check this out in the morning, my Nephew did suggest the Keyboard and he changed it over but did not reboot the PC

Don't forget the mouse - I came across one once that "decided" to "press" the control key from time to time! I nearly went mad before I swapped the mouse and found the cause - LOL

So if the keyboard swap fails to fix it - try changing the mouse.

Just got into the workshop and found that my nephew has changed both the Keyboard and the Mouse and rebooted PC, unfortunately still getting the same problem

Regards SOG61

Re BadBigBen comments, the Keyboard and Mouse were both USB and both working OK on another Computer, so regrettably still got the problem

Regards SOG61

Hi BadBigBen

Still getting nowhere I regret, have removed all usb devices changed both the Keyboard and the Mouse yet again, but still get the problem as soon as I try to add things again the PC just takes over. I have loaded Pagemaker OK and things work in that, but when i try to load InDesign I get the message that I need Windows Professional and Service Pack 2 which is when my problems start again

Regards SOG61

You need to find out if this is a software or a hardware issue.

Firstly, you are using a wired keyboard and mouse I hope - just to eliminate the possibility of radio interference?

There is no chance someone has a remote connection to this PC is there? (Just thinking outside the box here!)

I suggest you make a bootable CD of something like UBUNTU (the ISO is a free download) and see if that exhibits any strange keyboard activity.

You may need to go total diagnostics on this one so try....

I would try swapping out the power supply to eliminate voltage fluctuations.

I would run memtest86 to check for any memory errors.

If you are still getting the problems with a clean memtest and new PSU then check the mobo for any possible damage and pat especial attention to the capacitors for any bulging or leaking ones.

Finally, download the drive manufacturers disk diagnostic tools and zero fill the hard drive before reloading the machine from scratch. If that fixes it you had some weird malware!

That's all I can think of to try at the moment.

Why are you not running Service Pack 2 or 3? Update to 2 then 3 and see if your issues goes away after checking the hardware. You dont have a modem or anything else, like a parallel printer, attached do you?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Thanks for various advices I will keep trying them out although I will be away for a few days.
I have just had a thought and have asked eMachines the PC Manufacturer if anyone else has had the same problem
Will be in touch again if and when I get somewhere
SOG61

are you installing Home first then upgrading to Professional (SP1a) and then upgrading to SP3?

if that is so, then I would suggest you do a clean install instead...

1, I would slipstream the latest SP3, now if the Upgrade CD is below SP1a, then you will need to slipstream SP1a first then proceed to SP3... burn to CD...

2. now boot up with that newly created CD, and then proceed to install Windows, if it asks for a previous version of Windows, either let it choose the previous installed OS or insert the XP Home CD. After verification, you can then delete, create, and format partitions. Choose the partition of the previous install and reformat the existing partition...

For slipstreaming any SP, I would suggest you use nLite, as it is easy to use and pretty straight forward...

nLite

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hi Ben
Did not sleep much last night so decided to come into workshop today. I have started from scratch again with the original Restore Disk and this time it has loaded OK and when I try to Add Printers the screen holds OK, likewise when I load programmes they read OK so hopefully I am OK again??????
Having changed the Mouse and Keyboard yesterday the original fault stayed but having reloaded everything today I might be OK
Thanks again for your help, will let you know if it goes wrong again
SOG61

That is good news. If I was you I would image that to a USB drive pronto so I could restore in 15 mins or less if it goes wrong again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back