Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated XP System File Recovery Software? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABOD

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
GB
Hi All,

Many times at work I get faulty systems reported to me that wont boot up or are missing a system file etc. All of which can usually be fixed by Windows System Recovery Console.

However, I'm looking for a boot disk that can automatically do this for me and fix/repair/replace system files (like a corrupt hal etc)
Its just time consuming entering all the commands into the System Recovery Console.

surely someone has made one :)
Can someone point me in the right direction please.

But surely it depends on the problem what you need to do!

I also have many customers with broken XP systems - BartPE disk is my most useful tool, but its not 'automated'.

Most common things I do to fix things are run chkdsk with sometimes fixmbr & fixboot (which both need recovery console of course) and restore earlier registry hives from the system restore backups (most common/effective fix) - which I do from Bart.

Microsoft tried such a thing, by creating a "Guided Help" ("Do it for you" .exe) for 307545. Only trouble was that you had to be an Administrator, and logged on to the non-booting system to run the damn thing!

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting.

"Requirements to install and to use this Guided Help
• You must be logged on to Windows by using a computer administrator account to install and to use this Guided Help."

In the more sensible manual fix section of the article it does talk about using "If you have access to another computer, to save time, you can copy the text in step five, and then create a text file called "Regcopy1.txt" (for example). To use this file, run the following command when you start in Recovery Console:
batch regcopy1.txt" This can save a bit of time.

Regular complete Image backups are the easiest way to overcome this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back