Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated Printer Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

snickm

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
AU
Hi,

I want to find the best way to install printers to all machines in my domain and then to set an appropriate default. I have used the "rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" method to install printers on a per machine basis so that all users of a given machine have the printers installed and find it works well with one exception- it needs to be run from an administrators workstation and the target PC needs to be turned on. This is not such a big deal for desktop users but with laptop users it is a big problem for me.
My Question:
Can I set up some kind of trigger on our domain controllers so that when a person/machine logs on the domain controller will check which printers are installed and update the workstation accordingly?
My other thought was maybe some kind of group policy object that is associated with a site so that when a laptop user travels to a different site within the company their printers are updated.
And finally, I would like to find a way to set the default printer to match the the nearest printer to the PC, I think I can do this with a script in the startup folder for all users on a machine.
Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post.

This is the script that i use to add printers to our workstations, it relies on the PC's having location specific names though. I'm not sure about the laptop part though i'm afraid. Check the thread below.

thread94-910564

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back