Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated Cube Refresh problem!!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jontility

MIS
May 19, 2004
US
Hello all:
I have this command line in a batch file and it is scheduled through windows scheduler for simple automation:
C:\program files\Cognos\cer3\bin\trnsfrmr.exe -n2 -s -nologo "X:\Cognos\Transformer\Models\admtransformer.pyi"

I have been using this for awhile now..I actually got this from this forum, but the models have current date stamps on it..but when the users run the report, they dont get the current data from the cube..I have checked..they are pointing to the right cube..when I go in and delete and build the cube manually the current data gets populated on the ppr repeorts...I thought that the command line code up there is suppose to be doing that and I could have sworn that this has been working for more than since motnhs now until the users brought this to my attention...this is powerplay transformer 7.1.320
Any clue on why this is happeninng..or is there something else I'm suppose to do to ensure that the cubes are rebuilt everynight..thanks..Jon

John Organ
MIS

John
What do the transformer logs show for the builds?

soi la, soi carré

My guess is that your cube is not successfully building. drlex is right (as usual), check the Transformer logs, something isn't working right.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Jontility said:
the models have current date stamps
What is the date and time on the cube?

If someone has the cube open in powerplay, then the model will pick up the modified date and time of the command line run, but the cube will stay as last update.

The log will show this as:
Code:
15/04/2005 16:30:40	4	00000000	Start cube update.
15/04/2005 16:30:40	3	000000C1	(TR0787) The locking of cube 'k:\cubes\tt.mdc' failed. It is probably in use by another application. Select Yes to retry, No to create the Cube using a temporary name or Cancel. [->Cancel]
15/04/2005 16:30:40	4	00000000	End cube update.
15/04/2005 16:30:40	4	00000000	Timing, TOTAL TIME (CREATE CUBE),00:00:00
15/04/2005 16:30:40	4	00000000	(TR0102) The process or action was cancelled at your request. [->OK]

If this is the case, you might consider building the cubes in one place and copying them across to the 'live' area once built.

soi la, soi carré

drlex:
Yes you are right..thanks......looked at the log...saw that ...so I set it now to run somewhere else and then copy to the live area...that will fix the issue..thanks again..Jon

John Organ
MIS

John,
Glad to hear it's sorted - thanks for the start. Have a good weekend.

soi la, soi carré

Just a side note that copying it to the live location will fail if someone is using the cube. You'll need to check for the file and kill it before moving the new file into the live location.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

DoubleD:
Yeah I took that into account before copying to live location

John Organ
MIS

I had the same problem and the renaming and/or copying didn't work either.
After searching some more on Cognos.com I found they suggest that the file may be locked by a virus-scanner and to exclude the Cognos-files (mdl,mdc,pyi,qyi) from being scanned by that scanner. (KnowledgeBase 1003996)
This seems to work for me.

Niek

a good point - or set the transformer temp area to a folder that is excluded from being scanned. However, any problem in the build should be visible as an entry in the transformer log file - e.g. thread401-669876 - which is the message used in the KB document.

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back