Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate Storing of Scanned Documents in database 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquiff

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
I am currently looking to automatically store scanned documents into a database. If anyone has tried doing this before, can point me in the right direction, advise on pitfalls it would be greatly appreciated...

When I worked at Johnson Space Center (NASA), we used scanners and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to store documents in various places.

Are you planning to store the documents as an image or as Text using OCR?

I've no looked at the latest technology, but in the late 90's, the OCR technology wasn't capable of enough accuracy for MY taste.

Wang/Kodak Imaging will help you along the way, since there is built in document scanning. Chase Bank uses it to scan cancelled checks for electronic storage. I almost took a job working with them on that project.

Here's something to think about though, what is your back-end going to be? If you're thinking Access, I wouldn't store the image files in Access. Instead, only store a reference/link to the file in your table.

Good luck [fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

How many documents do you plan on saving? I work at a major international company. We use Kodak hardware to store thousands of documents daily. We have custom scripts that take a scanned document, convert it to a tiff level 4 file and then store it. We uses Access for small tables (i.e. State abbreviates, vendor #'s, etc) snd SQL 7 to store everything else (actually anything you can think of).
Other major vendors include FileNet, but you are talking really big bucks there...

Thanks for the help. I was planning on storing the images in a directory and just referencing a link through access. The kodak software looks interesting I shall take a look at it.

Volume wise we are not talking a lot probably about 12 documents or so per day sometimes less.

My next question would be browsing the documents over the internet. I am aware that downloads could be slow due to file sizes (documents will be a mixture of text and images)

any thoughts on this

Much appreciated

You're not talking about doing color scanning are you? Just b/w, I assume. The joy of b/w documents is that they don't require nearly as many bits to store the greyscale. So you'll have smaller images, and viewing them from the web won't be so painful. And as vb5er pointed out, 200 dpi will do fine.

[fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

I'm going to have to do some work now and take a closer look at some of the recomended products/suggestions.

Thanks to all

a question about the solution you have found as i can see its an old thread.

i have the KODAK controls on my Win2k machine and there is an error everytime i try and reference them, what am i doing wrong? As in, i can't load the reference into the IDE.

I too, want to be able to have users scan docs b&w is fine as images and store them in the db or maybe just a reference, so they can be called later.

do you have any example code i could see?

thanks

LoL Concepts®

pdddms,

In the future, when you have a question that relates to an older thread that belongs to someone else please just reference the thread. All you need to do is type it the way you see it here thread222-492897. The reason for this is if you look up on the right on who's marked this thread you will see that the owner elquiff has marked this thread and has now recieved two emails.

Now for your question...

Do not go through project references. Right click on your toolbox and select components. Select the imageedit control, imagescan control and the imageadmin control.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back