Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate process to import text file to Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthNone

Programmer
Jan 27, 2003
US
* * * Currently this backend database opens to a simple form. Click on "update data" and a procedure run that takes an external text file and replaces the current contents of one Access table with the contents of this text file. It copies the table being updated prior to running this procedure.
* * * User-level security is implemented, so I get to the database via a shortcut that references the *.mdw file for this database. Then I manually type in the username and password for the database.
* * * I used to be able to run this in the morning when I came in, but now my users are actually using (gasp!) their database more and I can't get exclusive access to it during normal working hours.
* * * How can I get this procedure to run automatically from the Task Scheduler?
* * * Tx for taking time to read this. Any help gratefully received and STARRED.
JSouth

Have you tried using the OnTimer event of the form instead of scheduling from your OS?

Thanks for the idea, but I don't think it will work in my situation: I only run this process once a week after the updated text file is produced in the wee hours Sunday morning by another automated process. So I'd have to gain exclusive access to the database on Friday and leave it open for several days. That would defeat the network backup process, which I do NOT want to do since there are other tables that the user may have changed that do need to be backed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back