Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate Grouping of Values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustKim

Technical User
May 31, 2006
GB
Hi everyone, really need help with this one. I have a Business Object report that has over 1000 values in it that need grouped. Everytime I refresh this report, new values appear so I cant write an If Statement as I would constantly have to update it and also there are too many values to be included in the If Statement. So I decided to put these values into groups. The problem is, I am trying to automate this process through VB. I refresh the report, and simply export it to excel using excel as my automation tool. But I dont want to have to open the BO report everytime I refresh it and manually move the new values into their appropriate group. I would like my code to open the BO report, refresh it, open an excel file and take the first value from the BO Report, find that value on the excel spreadsheet which will give you its corresponding group and therefore move that value into the approriate Group. Can this be done?

Im not allowed to add a new column to the Oracle database itself which would be so much easier!!

I know I could just export the report to excel and then update the group coulmn from there but I just really want to know if you can automate the process of Grouping Values in Business Objects

My 2 cents: Forget it..

Visual Basic in BO does not have the same kind of power as in a spreadsheet. Within Excel you can point at absolute cell-addresses to do almost anything you want. There is no such thing in BO.

Grouping values do work in BO, but be aware of limits. I have seen users struggling to get hunderds of values into several tens of groups. Worked for half a year, but then documents went corrupt/instable when groups were changed too often!

The solid solution is to fix this within the dataprovider (by CASE/DECODE) , assuming that there is some kind of logic that enables you to not having to cover EVERY value in the statement.

Ties Blom

You could do this if you had your spreadsheet as a dataprovider in the report. Then when you refreshed the report it could pull the group.

All you'd have to do is link the field you have in common.

Steve Krandel
Symantec

Steve thats great news. I didnt think you could do that. That is great news. I just wish I had the powers to be able to add an extra column to one of our tables specifying the group but Im not allowed(typical eh!). Thanks for your help :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back