Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate Backup to CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Is there a CD Burner software program that allows you to create a backup routine (list of folders & files you always backup) that you can use each time, where it will always backup everything (including anything new) in those listed folders/files? When I tried that with Easy CD Creator 4, it allowd me to save a routine that had desired folders/files, but when I later used that same routine, it backup only EXACTLY what had been in the previous backup, and did NOT include new files/folders that were now in that routine. I can't believe it worked that way...there HAS to be an easy way to specify a folder and files for backup, then just select that routine and know it will backup the updated versions of those folders/files and anything new in them! Any suggestions? Ultimately, I'd like to have the easiest way of automating a CD backup of data for a client who is very computer illiterate. Thanks!

Not sure if this will work, but try it on a re-writable CD,
to save money!

When you set up your backup initially: Try using wildcards
eg: *.*
and select include sub-folders option.
I would recommend reading through the progs Help file.

CapsMan

I was using MOB, My Own Backup, a shareware program, Task Scheduler and CD-RW's to do automatic backups during the nite. The CD has to be capable of simulating a drive so that Windows can see it.
MOB allows you to setup a backup set and then at the command line start the program with command line switches to run the set automatically.

Hi,
After trying several programs, I purchased AISBackup. It backups to zip files which can be accessed through a zip program or you can easily restore through AIS. It can be set up to do daily incremental backups where it only backups new and changed files. It does a backup and compare like my old tape drive. It also spans multiple disks. You can try it free for 30 days at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back