Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autofill cells in Excel with a different series than 1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMSMSD

Technical User
Aug 12, 2005
US
This is hopefully easy for someone else but I don't deal with it often. I have a pointer in a cell to a cell in another sheet in the same workbook:

='ANOTHERSHEET'!A1006

I need for the next cell down to point 9 rows down from the last one:

='ANOTHERSHEET'!A1015

...and to continue until about row 6000. If I select the original cell and drag down, it will increment the pointer by 1. If I go into Autofill Options and set it to 9, it grabs the referenced cell and increments that number by 9, instead of incrementing the pointer itself. I've been manually typing in these cells but would MUCH rather find a way to auto-fill what I need and save a day of mindless typing. I have 40 columns to alter like this! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

You can combine OFFSET and ROW functions, referencing to A1006:
[tt]=OFFSET(ANOTHERSHEET!A$1006,(ROW(ANOTHERSHEET!A1006)-ROW(ANOTHERSHEET!A$1006))*9,0)[/tt]
and copy down.

combo

INDIRECT() with a helper column containing the row of interest might be simpler and more transparent.

Combo's solution worked like a charm. Thanks! [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back