Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoFill and/or AutoNumbering - Access 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjp0362

Technical User
Oct 23, 2004
US
We recently upgraded to Access 2007. My understanding from using help is that MicroSoft removed the AutoFill feature due to many users not liking the feature--sorry, we liked it. Due to having numerous jobsites, we still use paper purchase orders (PO) that we track in Access. We track each individual PO and used to use the AutoFill feature to easily add these PO's to our Access database. Now that they have taken this feature away, we are thinking we'll have to have a new database setup for all future PO's and use the AutoNumbering feature to help us, but we can't figure out how to get the number to start at 186120 without having to create a record for all the numbers prior to 186120. Does anyone have any ideas? Or, are we just stuck with having to manually enter each PO number?

P.S. Wish they would have made AutoFill an option to turn off or on for your database.

I expect there are solutions for creating your own autonumber be setting the default value of a text box to the Max value + 1.

You can append a record into your table with a value that sets the autonumber value to 186120. Then delete the record. The next should be 186121. I'm not sure you want to use the autonumber field for anything other than a unique field value. If you delete a record, you typically can't get that number back.

A search of the web should find examples of both of these suggestions.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back