Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoexec.ncf

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsamples

MIS
Apr 30, 2002
US

During the final stage of the netware 6 migration on this latest server - when the old server shutsdown and the new server assumes its new role - the Autoexec.ncf somehow got locked into a read only, in-process, state, with an unknown/unseen process. This is not good since the migration process inserts parameters into the Autoexec.ncf. Among those parameters are instructions to delete itself from within Autoexec.ncf upon successful completion.

My problem is that the server startup cycle cannot complete because it locks when it tries to open Autoexec.ncf for write (to self delete the migration parameters). I am left with a partially loaded server and no console screen, and I cannot complete the 4 stage of the migration. I can spawn another screen but it does me no good because the server is really not completey "up" yet. I also cannot apply any patches or service packs because other processes are locked or were not allowed to complete.

I've tried everything I can think of to change the RW attributes of Autoexec.ncf, without success. I can't even delete it. Does anyone know of a way, or some tool that can either unlock, delete, or manipulate this file for me?

BTW: This is the 9th Netware 6 Migration I've done. The others gave a me a few minor problems, but now I'm at an impass with this one..

jsamples -

I found the following from Novell's site. It was speaking of a 4 to 5 migration. Though your situation is quite different, it may shed a little light on a possible resolution, or at least where to look:

Dear Ab-End: I've been trying to upgrade a number of servers from NetWare 4.11 to NetWare 5. Two of the upgrades went well, but now I'm running into major problems. The Migration wizard migrated the volumes, but then failed during the DS (Directory Services) migration. The server locked up and we had to reboot. When the server rebooted, it refused to load Directory Services, and told me to run DSREPAIR. I ran DSREPAIR, but that didn't help. The new server is still in its separate tree. My main DS tree now has serious problems, as it's trying to contact replicas on a server that no longer holds any. Help!

— Migration Went South

Dear Migration: The issue here is that during the In-Place migration, the entire server should reboot. Just before it reboots, the server shuts down the old NW411 DS files and adds the following line in the AUTOEXEC.NCF file: NDS8.NCF. This line calls the NDS8.NCF file. The NDS8.NCF file contains the line: LOAD DIBMIG.NLM. This line does the migration from the RECMAN database to the FLAIM database. If the Migration wizard doesn't get to the point where the LOAD DIBMIG.NLM line is added to the NDS8.NCF file, DIBMIG.NLM won't run and DS.NLM will attempt to open the wrong version of the database. This means that you'll get a string of -723 errors (missing DS files).

To fix the problem:

Check that AUTOEXEC.NCF has the line: NDS8.NCF. If this line is missing, type it in.
Make sure that DIBMIG.NLM exists in the SYS:SYSTEM volume/directory or in the search path. If it doesn't, copy the DIBMIG.NLM file from the CD-ROM.
Now, when the server reboots, the DS database will migrate and the installation of the PUBLIC and SYSTEM files will continue. (Answer provided by John-Paul Andrews of Novell)

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I haven't seen that situation before. I would have suggested downloading "ToolBox" - this is an NLM that once loaded will allow you to navigate NDS like DOS. However, since you have no console screen, I don't think it would help at this point.

Good Luck ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back