Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autoexec.bat

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
Does anyone know if you can start windows without loading any programs, e.g. when windows boots, nothing is loaded except for systray.exe

Here is the entry from my autoexec.bat. Is it possible to put some switch after C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM to stop the loading of any programs?

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

You can generally do away with the autoexec.bat and config.sys as the important stuff is loaded by windows itself.

But there are other things loaded in a couple of .ini files that are also involved. Suggest that you do a bootlog boot and look at the things that are loaded.

It looks like you have an upgrade version installed. Upgrades take the previous autoexec.bat and modify it. My usual steps are to boot with the config and autoexec then rename them before starting the upgrade. That generally lets the windows create the new ones with zero length.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

AP81,
I concur with Edfair, also you can run MSCONFIG look in Startup tab and un-tick any un-needed stuff.

Thanks for your help.

I have created a fairly advanced graphical boot loader, and wanted an option called mimimal boot (which launches windows with no startup programs). I thought that there may be a switch that you can add to not load startup programs.

Thanks anyway,
Adam

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back