Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autodialing not working as expected ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everyone: I've got three MLS-12D phones, and I want to program an autodial button to dial 911 for emergencies. The extensions are first set to dial in-house. I have one line assigned to the three extensions, and it appears on a button with lights. I've tried a few things:

1. Programed an autodial button to simply dial 911. If I push that button, nothing happens. But, if I press the outside line button and then the autodial button, it works.

2. I tried programming 801 (to select line 1) and then 911, but that does nothing. I also tried 9911, but that does nothing either.

The STRANGE thing is that when I program an autodial button on my MLS-18 or 34D sets, I simply program it for 911, and when I push the button, it automatically selects line 1 (even though the set is set to intercom in automatic line selection) and dials.

What am I missing? The 12 is programmed the same as the 18 and the 34, so I'm quite confuzzled as to why I can use the autodial on the 18 or 34 sets, but not the 12?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Set your Auto Line Select to include that one outside line. Or Intercom, and then that line, if the phones will be used primarily for internal calls.

At Ext. 10:
Feature 00
Left Intercom Twice
Right Intercom Once
Dial Ext. No.
Lines in order, or Right Intercom and Lines
Feature 00

Be sure to notify your E-911 dispatch center before doing 911 testing. I am a former 911 dispatcher and I can't begin to count how many abandoned calls I got from people testing auto-dial.

What most people don't know is that (ESPECIALLY with phone systems) if you dial 911 on an outside line and hang up immediately after dialing the last digit, as long as those 3 digits were transmitted across the CO line the call WILL still go through as an "abandoned" call. Then an officer is dispatched to a possible distress call.

Save yourself a visit from the police, as well as keeping the dispatchers and officers available for emergencies. If you let them know ahead of time that you're testing, they will contact you first instead of sending a police officer.

We've always discouraged customers from having a 911 button. Too easy to hit by mistake...
Mike

That did the trick, Tommy, thanks. But ... I guess I'm curious as to why the 12D functions differently than the 18 or 34 sets. On the 18's and 34's I have, Auto Line Select has Intercom1,Intercom2,CO1 pressed in that order. If I do an Autodial button on these sets, it takes the CO and dials without issue with just pressing that button. But on the 12, I have to follow your trick to get it to work. Is it just the difference in the model of the phone sets?

It's got nothing to do with the set model - apparently you had their ALS set to intercom only. So pressing an Autodial, or pressing 9 on Intercom, will not get you an outside line.

Programming ALS to be RIGHT Intercom, then the outside lines in the order that you would like them to be accessed, will give it something to go to when pressing the autodial or 9 on Intercom.

Be sure to notify your E-911 dispatch center before doing 911 testing.

how would you notify them other then dialing 911 ?

I always dial 911 , stay on the line tell them it isn't a emergency but that we are testing the 911 capability on a new telephone install ,( be sure to have the name of the business
and address when you call )

I did one the other day on a new FIOS install and the 911 operator told me that nothing was coming up for him as to name and address

What I usually do, skip, is to call the non-emergency number for the police and alert them to the testing. In a large, urban setting, it keeps the 911 lines open for true emergencies. But, if you live where I do, 911, non-emergency and just about everything else related to fire, police and medical rings at the 911 stations anyways, so for me, it really doesn't matter! :)

As skip said, a call to your local police or sheriff's non-emergency number ahead of time is the best way to go. Some centers are combined police/fire/ems/911, while others are totally separate from each other. If they don't directly handle 911 calls, they should be able to transfer you or give you the direct number. You can also call your telco provider and ask them to give you the non-emergency number to the 911 PSAP indicated on the ESN of your phone lines.

Calling 911 and remaining on the line is OK... but with the new technology at some E-911 centers, if you call ahead they can put your number in a "test mode queue" which will put any incoming calls for your number(s) in low priority for a set time, usually 30 minutes. This way other emergency calls get prioritized and answered first, so your test calls don't hinder actual emergencies. Or it may route 911 calls from your numbers to an alternate dispatcher or secretary.

I once had a bank accidentally transfer a caller to 911 by pressing a speed dial by mistake. The bank customer was confused and hung up - and the dispatcher saw "ABC Bank" on the screen. Needless to say, the police robbery unit was dispatched and both the customer and tellers were in a panic not knowing what happened. So I agree with Mike.. 911 on a button is a bad idea. haha

Sorry this is off-topic from the original question. But I'm happy to help anyone with 911 call center questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back