Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad Redundant and Distributed License Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit

MIS
Sep 13, 2002
CA
Hello to all!

I have a license server that sits in one site.

I have 4 or 5 different sites that use Autocad 2010 and they get their licenses from that one site.

I read that with Redundant License Servers, you need 3 servers, but they need to be in the same subnet. That won't work for me as I have a different subnet per site.

Autodesk website mentions Distributed License Server, which would work on a WAN, but if 1 server goes down, some licenses would be unavailable.

Does that mean that I have to split the licenses up across the servers?

What happens if I exceed the license count at one site? Does it then go to the other server on the WAN to get one?

All help and comments appreciated!

Distributed license server" is autodesk's marketing speak for "breaking your license pool up into multiple license pools, and hosting each pool on an arbitrary non-redundant server."

If you exceed the license count in the pool, nothing happens automatically... you need to re-point the client at an alternate license server.

If the user repoints it to a different license server (cad-server2 instead of the default of cad-server), once they exit and try to go back in, does it default back to the ORIGINAL server that it looked at (Cad-Server) or will they continually keep using the second one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back