Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD conversion to PDF format? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvagrafx

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
US
In an effort to save space on a Notes Database, we have been converting our AutoCAD and Solidworks drawings to a PDF format but have found that the resolution of many of the PDF files is not adequate to provide legible drawings, regardless of the plot output size. This is creating quality and communication issues with vendors.

Our options we see are:
1) Store original AutoCAD files in the Notes DB and continue to provide read only viewers to all who need to read drawings - BUT this will take up more space and will NOT provide a read only format - but WILL provide legible drawings.
2)Find a way to create legible .PDF files (typically from size A through D). Currently the resolution of the writer is set at 1200 dpi.

Any assistance would be appreciated regarding this issue.

FYI, we use WMF format for AutoCAD files. They can be inserted into Windows apps and can quality can be controlled. We use a progam BetterWMF from Furix to create the files. It can output in black and white, color, transparent background, include Pspace or Mspace, fit to a certain size (i.e. 4" x 6"), etc... I know that there are other ways to create PDF's, but I have not used them enough to say. Good luck.

FYI, we use AutoCAD’s print to a Dwf function. Dwf's are printed to a user size of 154.54 x 100 inches(size comparable to an 11 x 17 sheet of paper, but also gives a good resolution.)The Dwf's are very comprised so the file size is really small. Then we have everyone download AutoDesk’s express viewer(a free download and a very small file(2,217kb)), which is like a acrobat reader for Dwf's. With the Express Viewer you can zoom, print, and turn layers on and off.

I have used the PDF Printer Driver (that comes with Acrobat 5.0) to convert DWG files into PDF. You can tweak the driver to output good quality files, that are very readable, that are typically only 20-80Kb.

You can use the printer driver with the AutoCAD Batch Plotter utility to output 100 or so files at a time.

It's worth noting though that the printer driver is NOT installed by default from the Acrobat 5.0 CD. You should select 'Custom Install' during installation and pick it from the options list.

Hope this helps,
thefonzzz

Use the AutoCAD Postscript printer driver, and
Ghostscript to create the PDF files.

You will probably have to do a bit of scripting
and Lisp etc to decide on the output size. And you
will probably need to have seperate plotter configs
for each size.

I have set this up for a customer, if you want more
details let me know.

Nick
nick.hall@altasystems.co.uk

Try the free program PDF995, it create a virtual printer...and still use the Acroabt Reader to open it

download from this site:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back