Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazz

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,
Im new to this forum and Im after some help please. I have looked at lots of different source's of info to help me, but unsuccessful as yet. Im trying to get a field that auto updates. For example If you wanted someone to be charged automatically everyweek, say by a pound, dollar etc.. how could you do this. I would like the charges to be done weekly, is there anyway we could split up the year in to 52 weeks, automatically charge the person each week and they could then pay off what they wanted as and when. Im sure there is away round this, unfortunatley I dont know VB ( I wish at this point I did!!) Im trying to do this for a non profit organisation, (im not being paid or making money for it) so any help would be great!

Cheers

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you are trying to accomplish, but I may be able to help you if I understood what you are trying to do. I need more information

-Nick

Nick,
Sorry, I will start again and give you the full requirements. Im doing a 'basic' data base with some basic details on, that part was very easy. In the database though I wanted to include 'subs' which each member pays. Currentley this is done in excel and isnt very automated!! Each member has to pay £1.50 each week towards the running costs of the organisation. The members dont have to pay though each week. All I want is a total that updates each week, showing how much each member 'should' have paid. I can then manually enter how much they have paid (as and when I recive there money). From these two amounts I could tell how much they owe. Does this make sense? I hope so? I will keep checking back!!!

Wazz,

I wouldn't recommend storing calculated fields, as this would lend itself to problems down the road. I would strongly suggest that you design this as transactional application. Every account should have a number of weekly charge transactions, as well as payment transactions. Sounds like you need to design an append query that you can run on a weekly basis. This query can add a +1.50 transaction each week for the charges that they should pay.

In your forms, the summary fields can be based on queries that total the outstanding balance, total payments, etc. No need to keep these totals in a table.

K.Hood

im back on to this Database as well now. can anyone else give me some pointers on how I could achieve this auto upadate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back