Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto starting an app

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerPflug

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
US
Is there a way to automatically start a GUI when when a machine reboots. I know that a service can do this, but can you do the same thing with a GUI? Thanks in advance.

No. A program with a user interface requires just that, a user interface, to run. It will require that a user logs into the system. However, if you write your program so that it runs without a user interface (no forms or dialogs) you can schedule it to run with the scheduler with a specified user context.

You can add a short cut to your application to the users startup directory, this will mean the the program will run at start up. The user can quite easily take the shortcut out of this folder.

When you are creating the install packacge for your program
Click on the the file file sytem editor.
The right click on the workspace and a when the context menu comes up click on add special folder.
Select the users startup folder.
Open the folder and then create right click to create a new short cut.
Select the your application executable.
When the program is installed it will be loaded when the user reboots.

Regards

It is true you can't run a UI without first Login into the system but you can automate The login process. the problem being that it may breach company security. One mehod would to run under an application account where the login has just the permissions needed to preform necessary tasks.

here is a link that has one method to automate a network login.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back