Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Sort, I want Radomize

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniribs7

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
ZA
Problem:
When I call my data into the BO report, it automatically sorts it by the account number. However, when I generate the SQL inside the DB, it brings back the data all jumble and radomized. The later is what I actually want as sorting may lead to a "User interferance problem". How do I get BO to leave it radomized?

Thanks

daniribs7,

BO sorts the data displayed in the report by the first column. It does preserve the data returned by the DB. Infact you have a look at the Cube Data (Data - > View Data) it should be in the order in which your DB returns. One way to avoid this might be to have a Column that will hold the Row Index. In case of Oracle you can have RowNum as part of the Query and then Hide the Column at the Report Level. Any other way hmmmm gotta think....

Sri

The solution that was presented is the only one I can think of.

OLAP tools in general sort from left to right unless you tell it to do otherwise.

Also, if your measures are truly measures, then they would be aggregated (usually with Sum) in the SQL itself, thereby generating a Group By clause.

In most databases, the Group By causes an implied sort also based on the dimensions.

Steve Krandel
Knightsbridge Solutions
formerly BASE Consulting Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back