Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto set a wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie2002

Technical User
Sep 17, 2001
GB
Is there a way that I can have program or code or something in my Startup folder so that when windows starts up it will change the background(and/or)screensaver to one of my choice...

The thing is the IT department have nothing better to do than make it so everytime you log-on the wallpaper and screensaver are set to corporate logos...I know !

Cheers Thanks

Jamie

Jamie,

Have you actually got access rights to do this? (ie, can you do it yourself in display properties). I ask as companies which like everyone to have corporate logos also usually don't let just anyone change those (in fact they tend to 'tie down' the desktop so users can do sweet FA).

I think this approach is unnecessary, and often impacts on people's ability to do their job properly, but never mind that.

Yes I can do it myself but just can't be bothered changing it each day.....

Thanks

Jamie

paste this into a regfile myreg.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"="\\\\server\\ahare\\My Pictures\\lain.bmp"

change the server path to a path to your wallpaper.

create a bat file mybat.bat
@echo off
regedit myreg.reg /s

put it in your startup folder.
===============
Security Forums

browolf - the trouble with that is it doesn't actually activate the wallpaper (tried it 4 or 5 years ago on NT in similar situation). You need to restart the shell (ie, kill explorer & start new instance of it).

Possible other solution. Download & install Desktop Architect - Set up desktop background and screensaver as you want. Open Desktop Architect - current settings will be displayed. Save the settings as a theme on the desktop. Now, all you have to do is right click on the theme file & click apply (not automatic, but...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back