Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Sequence Number In Report ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

akgd99

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2002
IN
Hi, I have created a report using Wizard. The report is linked to one table and is displaying three fields with the Key code being displayed in Ordered manner.
Now I want to add a Seq # beside each detail line on the report . This field is not in the table but I want this to display the seq # of the Detail Lines. For ex., first detail line shall have 1, second 2 & so on as the first column of the detail line. Any Help ??

Thanks

Put a dummy fireld in the underlying query. give it a value of 1. Then include a control in the report with this field as its data source and get the report to calculate a running sum.

Depends -of course- on your situationm but this is generally a bad choice, at some point a report recepient will call / message you in some manner refering to the report and reference the "Seq#" for the issue they want to discuss. OOPS - SLOP - NOW what do you do? Since the data has probably changed, you cannot use the same reference. So, you need to explain your failure to understand their question / reference and ask them several additional questions to even get to the record where the issue lies.

Other than this small inconvenience, all is well here in mudville.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
I am doing this for my personal exercise and also I need the auto serial number to keep track of the number of the total items. please note I donot have any query tied with the report, the report has been created only using wizard and binding a table directly with few selected fields.
any more suggestions ?

thanks
akgd99

Wheather the report is based on a query or table is irrelevant. Ms. A WILL eventually present the records in a different order. It is the nature (deffinition) of relational db to not regard a dataset as ordered unless specifically indexed.

As far as the 'personal exercise', what you choose to do is of course "personal", however I would suggest exercising in a direction which can have a more direct application.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

MichaelRed's correct observation aside, make a textbox and set it's control source to "=1" (without quotes). Set the Running Sum to either Over Group, or Over All, depending on which you're interested in having it do. Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Hi,

To add a seq# field in your report, see below:

1. Add unbound field in the details of the report.
2. put inside the field: =1
3. go to the property of the field and choose a tab "data".
4. choose "yes" in runningsum.

Bye
mtomar@msn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back