Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Restore from Backup - PPC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2005
US
Hello,

I have some pocket pcs in the field and I want to create a backup so that if the devise gets reset it automatically restores certain pieces of software.

The PPC was made by a company called unitech and it automatically asks if you want to restore from their backup to reload the wireless drivers and their software - I want to do the same thing.

How is this done?

I'm not looking to do a backup through active sync - automatically load when the devise resets.

Thanks for the help!

When you refer to a reset do you mean a 'hard' reset, i.e. the kind that sets the thing back to factory defaults? If so, the only way to change it is to hack the ROM image which is a major undertaking - I don't know where I'd even start. When a PPC has a hard reset (or runs completely out of battery power) it has to re-boot from its ROM. That's a built-in area of read-only memory so you can't change it unless you 'flash' an entirely new ROM image, which is something you generally only do if the manufacturer issues a new firmware update.

I'm guessing that Unitech's developers built the option to restore from a backup into their firmware. If you were extremely clever you could copy the ROM image somehow, make some modifications to it using something like Visual Studio (it comes with a PPC emulator) then flash the new ROM to the device. Quite a job though.

Regards

Nelviticus

Where in the world are you? I'm in the UK, and the company that supply our handhelds do this - after a reboot it installs a couple of apps and all the necessary registry entries. They might be able to do it for you?

They also have an app that does a registry backup, so even if I make changes (ini files usually) I can then run the backup prog and after a hard reset it will re-install with MY values.

HTH

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back