Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

auto reply to distribution group

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrmcguire

Programmer
Oct 13, 2010
US
Is there a way to setup a rule on someone's outlook client or through the exchange console if they are a member of a distribution group and someone emails into that distribution group it sends a reply back to that sender?

thanks

Yes you can easily do that via Outlook rules. Create a new rule and specify to check messages when they arrive, select "With specific words int he recipients address" and type the name of the distribution list. Then select either "have server reply using a specific message" or "reply using a specific template".

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I tried this but when I put in

Apply this rule after the message arrives
with creditandcarrierrequest in the recipient's address
have server reply using Working On This

I receive

You cannot combine server-only actions with client-only conditions or actions

Use the option "reply using a specific template". You can compose an email to use as a template and save it, then select that message to have it be sent.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

No trees were harmed in posting this message, however a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Work SMARTER not HARDER.

So just compose an email and save it on the local machine in the templates folder to use that?

thanks for your help

Yes, sort of. Compose a new email. Choose File, SaveAs. Select from the drop down to use the OFT type which is the Outlook Template format. Note the directory it defaults to save in just in case you need to browse to that location when creating your rule.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

No trees were harmed in posting this message, however a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Work SMARTER not HARDER.

so with it only being client-only once the rule is saved, does the users' outlook client have to be open for this to run?

thanks

that didn't seem to work....I sent an email to a user who is part of the distribution group, creditandcarrierrequest and the users received the email but I didn't get anything back from the template which I had set the rule to reply with

sorry, meant to say yes I did sent to the distribution group, creditandcarrierrequest

Yes, being a client rule that Outlook needs to be open to process the rule.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back