Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto refresh in crystal enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadoger

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2003
GB
We have Crystal Reports 9 Advance Edition here and by with we have got Crystal Enterprise Standard Edition for 5 concurretn users, we have tested it as well. Now, I was to ask a question regarding Crystal Enterprise, we have a user requirement here to

Auto-Refresh Report Data On the User Browser Screen

by auto-refresh I mean user has clicked a Schedule report instance in ePortfolio(we will only be usign eportfolio) and then report is generated by by the Crystal enterprise to the user browser and user is viewing the reports contents now without doing any user interaction is it possible to refresh the report data which user is currenly viewing ?

I worked on it, and I altered the ViewReport.csp file on the server to include

Reponse.write("<meta http-equiv=refresh content=\"10\">");

which actully auto-refresh the user browser after 10 seconds, but, as the report data is based on the scheduled insatance(which user clicked to view the report), user browser still presents the old values regardless of that Data in the database is actully changed, now I have few questions

1. Is it possible to Auto-refresh Already present schedule so my Browser data will be refreshed?

2.Is it possible t only automate report auto-refresh for one report ? as once you alter Viewreport.csp, crystal enterprise will keep refreshing every report user is viewing in browser,which we dont want.

3. Is there any Auto-Refresh feature in Crystal Enetrprise 10 ?

I am realy looking forward for reply.

Many thanks
Ahsan Khawaja

Won't it be problematic if someone is viewing a report and suddenly the data changes?

This is a bizarre request.

You could schedule a report to run every 10 seconds, and then limit it's instances to 1 or some such and the report would rerun every 10 seconds.

The viewer itself has a refresh button, can't the users just refresh it as required, if required?

-k

We were also looking for this option, but failed to find a solution within CE.

We have a series of reports on 5 minute schedules and an auto browser refresh to run the report would be really handy.

Lochbel

synapsevampire,
first thing, how can we force CE to limit instances to 1 ? and the report which user will click to run from any instance, i think that report will get refreshed only and only if that particular instance is refreshed(am still not sure), econd thing, YES user should not press refresh button thats the stuff I want!!!, think it off a graph which is auto changing according to the inputs of user in database so one can have the real time picture.

I haven't done this, but I would have thought the best way would be by passing the url to CE at timed intervals.

The method by which you pass this, I'm afraid, is up to you.

example of URL :

See the link below for more details on URL reporting (don't worry that this is for CE8, it still works in CE9 and CE10):

Reebo
UK

Please Note - Due to current economic forcast and budget constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off. Thank you for your cooperation.

The number of report instances would be limited to 1 in your Crystal Management Console, Manage Objects, your report, Limits tab. Check "Delete excess instances when there are more than N instances of an object" and set N to 1. But someone on this board reported an inability to use the Limits tab with the 5-license Standard version.

You may need to use a URL, as suggested above, but maybe go directly to your .rpt file instead of using an instance ID in CE. To force the report to refresh, with the meta-refresh tag, generate the URL with a timestamp passed to a meaningless report parameter. This will tell the cache not to keep serving up the same page.

Unfortunately, these are just left-field ideas that I haven't actually used. But when you're in a room with no doors or windows and nothing but a mirror and a block of wood...you look in the mirror, see what you saw, and use the saw to cut the block in half. Two halves make a whole(hole), and that's how you get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back