Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto-login to Voicemail boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeND

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
We have an Avaya Definity G3 R10 connected to an Octel Serenade 200. Currently we can use 2 autodial buttons on 8110 model phones to semi-automatically log into our voicemail boxes. We do this by making one of the autodial buttons dial our voicemail hunt group and the other autodial ##<security code>. So to login we hit the first button, then we hit the second autodial. My problem is that with our 8410D model phones I can't get this same setup to work. As soon as one number is dialed another autodial button won't do anything. I've tried putting all digits on one autodial button but the pause (~p)character doesn't do anything! Thanks for any help in advance!

Mike

This is off the top of my head, but I believe there is a comma character you should be able to select, and say, putting two in succession like 18008008000,,4321 will represent a 2 second pause, ,,, = 3 so on an so forth. Not I'm not sure if this will help you out in anyway but it definatly couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the idea. I've tried that previously and when we use 8410D model phones and hit that autodial button it will dial all of the digits before the comma and then quit. Almost like it forgets that there are still numbers after the commas.

This isn't the answer to your problem, but it's worth considering.

NEVER do this. you blow all the security of the system by doing this. I could make your hair curl with some of the things I've seen happen because one person had access to another's (private) voicemail box.
Speak softly and carry a big switch

Does anyone have any ideas on this for me?

Keep the speed dial to the Octel. When prompted, users should manually key in password, not have a short cut key.

What's next put in your ATM card and have it automatically key in PIN and withdraw $100.00?

Where's the security in these scenarios?

Oh thanks for your wonderful insight. If I wanted your opinion I would have asked for it. Next time try presenting the facts (the howto's) and not your opinions!

Hi Mike,
I do understand your frustration. I'm not 100% sure of my facts on this but I believe that Avaya have deliberatly created a situation whereby you cannot do this any longer. I had the same problem with an Audix connected to a Definity where what you were doing was previously possible but when the software level was upgraded, the ability to do an autologon dissapeared.
I hate to labour the point, but it is a very bad idea to do this.
Have you tried showing your boss the replies you have had to your posting?
I once had to deal with a hysterical secretary at a site where they had autologon, she had been having an affair with her boss, she went on holiday and the temp used her mailbox and opened a pandoras box of gossip delights.
It wasn't pretty.
Also if you are in Europe or the UK you could be breaking EU human rights legislation by doing this ( The right to privacy)
Hope this helps.
Nick. Speak softly and carry a big switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back