Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto launch file from Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

daint

Technical User
Oct 4, 2000
GB
Hello,

I've got a program which is assigned to a file extension, dai in this case. When double clicking the file on desktop, I've assigned it to auto print the contents. However, when downloading it from the web, IE7 gives me the option to Open or Save (neither of which do the default windows action of print) and Firefox just save.

I've seen on a number of websites, certain files auto-open, in fact I've even seen similar on someones intranet that opens a similar file extension to do a similar action without prompting (when I say similar I mean virtually identical).

I've managed to get onto this intranet using my own laptop, and this does in fact launch without prompting, whereas from my own server the same Open/Save choices.

I'm guessing this must be a setting on the server, possibly a MIME setting (thats just my guess). What do people suggest to get round this. (A note, I don't have any access to this intranet server).

Because there are only two PC's going to use this program, I'm happy enough to edit registry etc, if needed, but wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks

Daint

P.S. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, seeing as it's a Linux server, thought this may be the most relevant

It's probably a difference in the encoding type declared for the MIME/application association. Pull the page using wget -S and see what encoding types you are shown from each server and adjust where possible.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back