Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Kill Long Running Reports in Enterprise - BOXI 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zigstick

Technical User
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hello, running BOXI 3.1 and have scheduled reports that are running excessively long, thus both using up resources as well as maxing out the 5 report at a time threshold.

The only way we've found to remedy, is by regularly monitoring the instance analyzer and killing the "hung" reports and then stopping the associated job child processes in task manager.

Is there any way to automatically kill a job and process for long running reports? I can't find a way in BOXI. Perhaps a 3rd party tool? We're desparate as this is affecting delivery of high priority production reports.

Many thanks for any ideas!

You have a couple of options:

1. Add one or more additional Crystal Job Server processes in the CMC. Set up a server group that contains these Job Servers and make sure that all of the long-running reports are assigned to run on that server group. If you don't put all of the Job servers in this group, this will leave an available Job Server to run the high priority reports. This solution does not require cancelling the long-running reports.

2. I don't know of any third-party tools that will cancel report schedules based on how long they run. However, it would not be too difficult to write a program using either the .NET SDK or the Java SDK that would run in the background and monitor your system and then cancel report schedules as needed.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thanks! Good information.
I should say that "long running" isn't the best way to put it, but rather ... hung. Reports that normally run in minutes can end up running for days if not monitored. I've checked the queries and they look good. Any way to actually auto-kill such reports after x amount orf time? Unfortunately, I'm not .NET or Java SDK skilled. Thanks again.

There is no way that I know of to auto-kill them. Sorry!

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back