Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Form Fill In....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeshan1784

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
US
This is my problem. The place I work is behind the times. We have a website where people can join. They fill out a form and submit it to us. It comes to us by email in the generic format:

First name: John
Last name : Smith
Email address: john.smith@isp.com

We then have to take this information and manually enter this into another website form and then submit it where it will then automatically send a welcome letter to them with a generated userid and password. I want to cut the middle out. I want to be able to automatically have this info entered into the second website form and submitted. I can save the individual emails that come in to a txt file where it can be read from and entered. Does this sound possible?

Thanks,
Mike

Why not let the user sign up right on your site without having an email sent to you period. All you have to do is write an ASP or PHP server side script page to process the user and then automatically email the user an ID and password. "did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

MrGreed

Would be very nice and there are plans in the future do something like that but since this is relatively new for us here nothing like that has been setup yet. I'm sure there are some politics that play into that as well but I am down the food chain and am just looking to simplify this process for everyone that is involved with this data entry. Thanks for the reply. Any ideas?

Saving the emails to text is possible, and reading them in is also possible. I appreciate your situation, and have been there before myself, but the work that will go into reading the text file will be just as much, as to bypassing all of that.

with that said,

You could write a script that reads it into directly to your database or the 2nd form page can be modified to read in the text file or you can save the text file out to and excel file and if using access databse import the excel file in. You have alot of options available, but none are the best solution.

Hope that helps a little.
"did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

MrGreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back