Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Fill: wanting Copy Cells NOT Fill Series by default

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairwormman

Programmer
Dec 9, 2003
US
Fellow Troubleshooters:
I have searched old posts and have not found anything but people broaching this subject, so here we go. I want to copy single cells in Excel by using my mouse (i.e. Auto fill). No matter what I do, Excel uses Fill Series by default (so that when I put in F02, and want to drag it to the next 20 cells it fills in F03, F04…). This even happens when I select only ONE cell, and there is only that one cell in a column I am trying to populate.
Now, I know that I can: a) hold the ctrl key, or b) click on the annoying box (after my fill), and change the checkmark from Fill Series to Copy Cells. However, I would like to avoid any additional key strokes or mouse clicks by changing the default in Auto Fill to Copy Cells.
Anyone who could provide help would be directly responsible for saving my sanity.

Cheers…Ben the worm

Ben,

This is a very convenient feature. However, in the event that I don't want to copy/incriment, I simpley ...

[Ctrl]+c
[Shift]+[End][Down Arrow]
[Ctrl]+v

no big deal.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] A chicken, who would drag a wagon across the road for 2 cents, is…
POULTRY in motion to PULLET for a PALTRY amount! [tongue][/sub]

Or right-drag and choose Copy from the shortcut menu.

Skip,
Thanks for your timely response. The [Shift]+[End][Down Arrow]is a neat trick!! But, for me, I need to fill in about 5,000 cells. For each I give a designation (e.g. A03, P09, C10), then I manually fill in the number needed for each. For example, I might have 10 cells with A03, 33 with P09 and 2 with C10 (all in one column). So I type A03 once, and drag that down 9 other cells. Then I do the next one. Any way of having A03 Copy in (not Fill in) without having to hit the Cntrl key. (I the right hand for my mouse, the left hand to keep my place on the paperwork, and I simply don't have a third hand to press and hold the Cntrl key). So I guess what I am asking is there any way to change the default setting to Copy Series ?

Cheers...Ben the worm

If you have two cells with the same value (non-formulas) it will copy by default. There is no way to change that default course to my knowledge.

Also, selecting your entire range and entering your value, confirming with Ctrl + Enter will enter the same value for each cell in selection (must be a contiguous range); but that is with the keyboard.

HTH

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back