Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto email when a record is added to a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericbrown2

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
US
Hey guys, quick question.

I'm using a combination of DAP's and Microsoft's Infopath to add/edit info in a Access db. My question is, is there any way to set a table to automatically send an email to a receipient whenever a record is added to that table? I'm sure there are ways to do it through JS code on the page but I wanted to see if it could be done directly from the table.

Thanks Guys

Eric,
Lots of us have been wishing for trigger functionality in Access databases for a long time...

About the closest I ever came was a background process that constantly interrogated a table and did something when a row was added. It was ugly. Before that I had a form with a timer and checked the table for added rows every time the timer fired. That was even more ugly (because it required the database to be open).

There IS a win32 api call that will fire an event any time there is a change to its assigned file. Might be some opportunity there.

If you have the JS skills, that is probably your best bet.

Tranman

"Adam was not alone in the Garden of Eden, however,...much is due to Eve, the first woman, and Satan, the first consultant."
Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back