Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto disable of unused accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandy34

MIS
Nov 11, 2005
US
I have several computer accounts that I've recently had to disable because of non-use. I'm not sure if they're still valid and the computers in question are just not connecting very often so I didn't delete them.
In the future I would like to just disable accounts if they don't get used.
Does anyone know of a setting or a GPO that will basically prune old accounts and set them to disabled if they don't connect in a certain amount of time?
Thanks,
Sam

No GPO or setting as such but have a look in the VBScript forum.
Or look at for some scripts to do the following:-

Check when workstation last changed its domain password
If over x days move to a diff. OU and disable account
After another x days delete

Neill

Depends if you want to pay the $ for a tool for something that you can do reasonably easily with a script.

That being said I have looked at AD Manager before and it seemed quite nice and of course does a lot more than just AD cleanup. And the price isn't exorbitant unlike those that insist on charging per AD account.

Neill

The free version of ADManager allows management and reporting of upto 100 objects in a domain. A good way of finding what you want is to use a util called oldcmp from joeware.net..

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

I knew there was another place that had a decent util / script for it I just couldn't remember where.
Joeware's stuff always works well.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back