Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto dial

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkenworthy

Programmer
Sep 13, 2002
GB
In theory, would it be possible to load a script to make a modem dial a list of numbers and test each number to see if it is valid/live or not.

If the connected tone is recieved and it starts ringing then the modem would disconnect (regardless of a carrier or not - just the fact that the number is live), otherwise the result would be displayed e.g. busy, invalid etc...

Could this be done via AT commands, or some other utility - can someone point me in the direction of a program which could do this, or how to create a script and where to load it?

Thanks for your ideas.

1) this is called a war dialer, from the movie war games, and most phone companys can detect and refuse dial tone to lines that act like a war dialer.

2) tek-tips is "Technical Work Forums for Computer Professionals"Fele free to try to convince me your work place NEEDs to annoy entire exchanges of phone customers and get their line disconnected for some professional purpose

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I'd be delighted to, we are a telecoms re-seller company who sell non-geographic numbers to customers and have a large number of them which we are not sure are live or not.

Thus we need a method of testing them all one by one.

I would not use tek-tips for anything other than advice on technical work. This to me falls under the category of 'technical' and 'work'.

I hope this satisfys your presumptuous curiosity.

you can google for war dialer software, you will be limited by the result codes the modem can detect.

Here are the result codes available for a USR v.everything modem.

as you see, there is not an obvious message for most of your outcomes

You will still need to deal with local phone company's (perhaps your own company) automatic disabling of suspected wardialers.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back