Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

auto-detect on built-in SD card reader not working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldtooth

Technical User
Feb 18, 2009
GB
For some reason the auto-detect no longer works when I insert a SD card into the built-in slot in my pc. It used to invoke a Zoombrowser program which prompted me to download images into the main Zoombrowser program. The slot is definitely live, and according to device manager, working ok. I am using Vista. Any ideas?

Does it detect the card at all? in other words, if you go to explorer is it there, and can you browse it?

Thanks, rclarke250
Yes, explorer recognises it and the files on it. It's the auto-detect that no longer works.

Thanks again, rclarke250. You're right - the UPnP was disabled, and still is! When I followed your instructions, the message "The dependency service or group failed to start". Is this a router problem? My pc is hard wired (ethernet) to my Virgin Media Super Hub.

I think it's Windows Firewall that's causing the problems. When I turn it off, the UPnP automatically turns on. And vice-versa. How do I solve this without losing my firewall?

Well did you see if the sd card was auto detecting if the firewall was disabled, and upnp was enabled? if yes, then you have to create a rule for the firewall to allow the exception. If no, then it's something else, and we need to look elsewhere.

No - when the firewall was disabled, the sd card reader still didn't auto-detect, even though the 'Network Discovery' button had turned on. Turning the firewall back on turned this button off immediately. The auto-detect used to work fine about a month ago. Since then, in order to speed up my pc, I have run several clean-up programs such as adwcleaner, hitmanpro, spybot, malwarebytes and cloud system booster. Whether any of these has caused the problem I don't know!

What happens if you delete zoombrowser and then install it again?

Cracked it! Thanks to strongm (and also rclarke250). The link to mydigitallife gave the solution - the 'fault' was a wrong setting in the Registry. I had to change the value of NoDriveTypeAutoRun in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer to Hex 91, whereas before, for some reason, it was B5. Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back