Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Complete using shlwapi.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughLerwill

Programmer
Nov 22, 2004
GB
with ref to thread222-1555845

Andy (Groom),

I wonder, did you make any headway into 'custom autocomplete lists' as suggested by HarleyQuinn's 'Here' link to
or can anyone else give me a clue as to how it may be done from vb6; my searches seem to have turned up a couple of examples in C but their translation is beyond me.

No, I would still like to figure this one out.

Ideally I'd like to be able to choose which textboxes have autocomplete and which don't, and to be able to add and remove items from the list of suggestions. The sample code in the original thread is tantalisingly close but since it doesn't remember new things it's a bit pointless.

- Andy

Just to clarify - I realise you can set which boxes to autocomplete and which don't - not sure why I thought it was either on/off for the whole app. However the original problem is still the same; ie. if your textbox contains things like names, product codes, subjects, titles or whatever then the AutoComplete feature doesn't work in a way which is context-specific to that textbox, like it would if it was a field on a webform.

- Andy

I am still trying to find out how to get the thing to include a user defined 'custom source' list rather than the URLs and path names it serves up by default.
That done, and providing the list was not too long (slow to retrieve) I guess I would build the list when a textbox gained focus so that it only contained entries related to that field.

Exactly, if that was possible it would be a great solution and on the basis that the list can be narrowed when it's a field on a webform you'd think it must be possible.

- Andy

So have got it to work with a custom source list at all or are you stuck with paths and URLs like me at the moment?

No I'm also stuck with paths and URLs.

- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back