Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Complete in Excel 2003 or higher??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrteacher

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
I am trying to do an AUTO COMPLETE of sorts (like you might do in Word). Here is an example:

A B C
Joh123 John 123-45-6789
Sal234 Sally 234-56-7891
Bru567 Bruno 567-89-1234

In Col A you would type in the Letters and Numbers that will then Auto Fill in B and C.

Is the only way to do this using a lookup function from a table?

The problem that I am having is that sometimes the USER is not at the same computer OR the same building -- sometimes even working from home... Every week the Lookup Table changes as the employees change...

Does anyone see an answer that I am not seeing with this? Short of having to have the Lookup Table forwarded to where ever the user is -- I cannot see another option... Even if you could use an AUTOCOMPLETE like in Word.

Obviously the DATA in Col's B & C does not matter -- as I speculate it would have be derived from the LOOKUP TABLE -- Correct?

Thanks for you help and input -
Steve

You could put the Lookup Table on a shared network drive, to which all employees have access. The lookup formulas in columns B & C could be written to look at that particular file. If someone puts in network IDs (I assume that's what is in column A) while not connected to the network, they can sync next time they are connected.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back