Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto archive at end of month

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline666

Programmer
Oct 22, 2007
GB
Hi,

I have done some archiving before on a database that i worked on previously, and so know how to do the archive through code, but how would you make the archiving run automatically at the end of the month? The code I used previously was used on the OnClick event of a command button, and so didnt matter when it was pressed:

Code:
Private Sub cmdMonthEndArchive_Click()

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
Dim stDocName As String

stDocName = "MakeRentalArchive"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit

stDocName = "MakeItemArchive"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit

DoCmd.SetWarnings True
MsgBox "Finished archiving tables: 'Rentals', 'Rental Items & Rates'", vbInformation, "Archiving Tables"

End Sub

where MakeRentalArchive is:

Code:
INSERT INTO RentalArchive ( RentalID, ProjectSplitNameID, ItemID, Quantity, MonthlyRentalCost, RentalMonth, ArchiveMonth )

SELECT Rental.RentalID, Rental.ProjectSplitNameID, Rental.ItemID, Rental.Quantity, Rental.quantity*Item.MonthlyRental AS Expr1, Rental.RentalMonth, Now() AS ArchiveMonth

FROM Item INNER JOIN Rental ON Item.ItemID = Rental.ItemID

WHERE (((Rental.RentalMonth)=Format([forms]![Menu]![cmbMonth],"dd/mm/yyyy")));

and MakeItemArchive is:
Code:
INSERT INTO ItemArchive ( ItemID, Description, PurchaseCost, AnnualFee, MonthlyRental, CategoryID, ArchiveMonth )

SELECT Item.ItemID, Item.Description, Item.PurchaseCost, Item.AnnualFee, Item.MonthlyRental, Item.CategoryID, Now() AS ArchiveMonth

FROM Item;

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

How are ya skyline666 . . .

The Idea is to use windows [blue]Task Scheduler[/blue] to open the Db with a [blue]command line arguement[/blue] that runs a macro. The macro in turn runs your code.

To maintain functionality of your button, put your routine in a module in the modules windows. Here it can be called from anywhere:
Code:
[blue]   Call [b][i]RoutineName[/i][/b][/blue]
[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997
Also faq181-2886

Hi TheAceMan1,

Looks like im going to have to get back to you with this becuase as ever the user likes to change his/her mind so might be archiving a different way to originally planned (theres a system already in place at work, which at first was going to go the same sort of lines, but then decided not to, and now maybe they do!).

Andrew

skyline666 . . .

You can also detect the date/time when the form opens (AutoExec Macro) and decide when to run the code!

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997
Also faq181-2886

Forgive me if I state something obvious, but don't forget to 'record' that the archive has been executed so that it doesn't execute again for that month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back