Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto answer setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrobe

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2004
US
I am so confused setting up a new partner 308 with pc card vms 2 port - 8 mailbox. I currently have the all phones ringing when a phone call rolls in as desired. Plus phone calls can be transferred to an extension where voice mail will kick in if it isn't answered and only 6 of the 8 mailboxes are going to be used.

So it seems like I have the bare minimum working. The desired method of functionality when receiving a phone call is that it should ring everywhere for four times and then if no one has picked it up, I would want it to get answered by vms with an announcement that gives a listing of the available extensions and then allows the person to transfer themselves.

So as a total newbie, how do I get there from here. There aren't any hunt groups setup with the exception of hunt group 7, with 78 & 79 assigned.

Also, what the heck role does the selector codes play??

Thanks for any and all feedback.

-Marc-

OK, you've got the VM working, by assigning ext 78 and 79 to hunt group 7.

Now assign the lines to Call Dist. Group 7. #206-7-NN-1, where NN is the line number.

Give them a 4 ring delay in VMS Hunt Delay. #506-M-NN-4, where M is 1 for Day Mode, or 2 for Night Mode (Just use 1 for now), and again NN is the line number.

Be sure each extension with a mailbox has Auto VMS Cover, #310-XX-1 where XX is the extension number.

Record a greeting for the Auto Attendant. Intercom 777, 0#, Password-#, 3, 1, wait for the tone and record the message, 1 to end, and *# to approve.

Now calls will be answered on the 4th ring, the auto attendant announcement will be played, callers can dial an extension number and be transferred, and if still unanswered by the extension, go to the extension's mailbox and leave a message.

As far as selector codes go, you can tell your callers "for Joe, press 1. For Sam, press 2. And for Charlie, press 3." Then you set selector code 1 to go to Joe's extension, 2 to Sam's extension, etc. Note that if you want to do something like "if you know your party's extension number, please dial it now. For Shipping, press X, for....", you must reserve the lower selector codes that match the first digit of your extension numbers as "Direct Extension Transfer". That is, if your extensions are 10 through 25, you can't use selector codes 1 or 2, because when the caller wants to dial extension 12 (for instance), the 1 is has to be interpeted as the first digit of an extension number and wait for the 2nd digit.

Thanks for responding Tommy. I'll print out your advice and give it a try today.

I believe I have #506 done already.
Also #310.

But I am not sure about #206. Can't remember what I programmed there... Probably not the hunt group 7. So hopefully that is what I am short.

One other quick question what designates day and night as used in #506? Is it a button pushed at ext 10 or is it time based within the system?

Thanks for everything!

I'll update later tonight.

For night service, #503-3, then select a button with lights on ext 10 that you want to be the night service button. Then when you push it, it will light up and change the number of rings before answering as set in #506-2-NN-X. Push it again, the light goes off and you're back to Day mode.

Thanks Tommy. That sloved my most glaring problem. Now I have to program the handsets and I should be complete with this project. I just knew it was going to be something simple to make it work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back