Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

auto-answer modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfitz600

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
US
I am setting up a small business, and need help in setting up my computer with a modem that I can call into over the phoneline and activate the modem to make a connection to the internet. Once this computer has an internet connection then I need to be able to view files from this machine from my location. Can this be done ? If so how ? or is there an easier way ?.
The reson I need to do this is that I need to view what sales have taken place that day. - as I travel around alot.
Any help will be appreciated greatly

PC Anywhere !!!! Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Are you trying to dial into your desktop and then connect THOUGH it to get to the Internet (say, though its LAN connection)?

Or are you just trying to dial in to the desktop and access its file? In the latter case the Internet isn't necessary.

What OS are you using on the desktop and the remote (laptop?) machines?

When I am travelling I do not have access to a telephone line due to the locations I'm in. My only connection I have is a satelite connection to the internet through Starband. What I want to do is be able (if possible)to call my business computer using my cellphone and somehow enable it to then go ahead and make a connection to the internet. And once I have achieved this is then use my Starband Internet to connect to it. Both machines are using Windows XP. If there is an easier way to do this, please suggest. Thanks for any help.

Well this is close, but I guess I don't get the cigar (star):

There is a feature called callback that can be configured for incoming connections (search for callback in WinXP's Help and Support).

The problem is, this is a security feature. As a result it first wants to take your call and let you authenticate (user/pw). Then it hangs up, expects you to be in autoanswer mode, then calls you.

The "you" is a preconfigured number for your account.

So if you could at least make a brief call out to your home machine to authenticate (and thereby "request" callback), and you preconfigured phone number was your dial ISP, there is a slim chance it might work.

Most likely though it will still want an incoming connection from you rather than being willing to process an outgoing connection (to your ISP).

Hmm. Still thinking on this end though.

Get dsl on your business computer with pcanywhere. The phone charges and differential costs of a dial-up account, not to mention time $avings would offset the dsl charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back