Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

auto-answer modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfitz600

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
US
I am setting up a small business, and need help in setting up my computer with a modem that I can call into over the phoneline and activate the modem to make a connection to the internet. Once this computer has an internet connection then I need to be able to view files from this machine from my location. Can this be done ? If so how ? or is there an easier way ?.
The reson I need to do this is that I need to view what sales have taken place that day. - as I travel around alot.
Any help will be appreciated greatly

Yes it can be done. telling a modem to pick up an incoming call is easy and usually requires altering the value of one or two commands.

However, the fact that you're asking this question makes me wonder how you intend to do this. If you are thinking of just connecting a modem to the back of your PC, I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. You need some form of remote access package that will "manage" the connection.

My personal experience is with pcAnywhere, but there are others out there.

It lets you transfer files, or even take control of the PC that the modem is connected to.

Hope this helps. PaulS
-----------
Remember!
You get what you pay for, but sometimes you pay for what you get!
-----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back