Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto accessories - which POS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misteryul

Technical User
Oct 30, 2003
US
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, and it is a blessing to have found it :) I am opening a car accessory store within the month, and I have yet to decide on a POS system. I have been pitched MS retail management system but I do not know how easy it is to use. Could you please recommend a simple, easy to use POS system for me. My needs include inventory control, work orders, simple reports, and bar coding. Thanks again.

Use the MS, you will be happier with the upgrade path, and the ability to interface ms office products into the software. If you are puttign in a new systems,
1) use sbs 2000 server,
2) by a dell server (even a used ebay will work) with fault tolerent drives, hardware dsik controller)
3) put a ups on every thing (dont; forget the switches)
4) use decent swtich 10/100 for the backbone

fyi, you may spend a little bit more up gront, but with decent hardware (we have run ours for 3 years 24 x 7), the systems just doesn't crash.

matt

Misteryul,

I would do a web search on automotive pos systems and do a little research. I do pos with inventory control for restaurants and retail stores, and I am pretty sure there are a lot of softwares out there designed exclusively for the auto industry.

My company specializes in RMS. Its a great system and like mkater said, the upgrades this software will experience in the next 6 month - two years will be unbelievable.

As a disinterested party - as we are not microsoft - a totally separate company - the software is very easy to use. Haven't the reseller given you a demo or gave you some evaluation software???? Ask for it. Microsoft is taking on many new partners and there have been some problems with companies from outside the retail industry taking on the product without any retail experience just to make it part of their product lineup- so make sure you thoroughly check them out and their experience.

We've got some good info on our site - check it out -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back