Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authentication with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

moapple

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to make Mac OS 9 or 10 authenticate users through Windows 2000? I need to have our Mac computers login so that we can track who uses what pc.

Oh, and theres an app called 'Dave' for the Mac but dont if its supported anymore. I'd buy a Mac if I could afford one.

OSX doesn't need any additional software, turn on filesharing and windows file sharing in the filesharing control panel. OS9 you're probably best off installing PC/Maclan on the PC, or enabling services for macintosh if you're using NT server or Win2k Server.
PT

Thanks for the help, but what I need is for our Mac users to get a login box when they turn on the computer - the way they would if they were using a Microsoft Windows system the is a member of a domain.

The answer to your question is:-
UNFORTUNATELY this product is still under development.

Alternitavely:

1. Use Thursby's DAVE v4. This does NOT fully integrate into a Windows domain. What it can do is allow a domain login box to pop up AFTER you log in on the mac.

2. You can try to follow the instructions found on the Apple site for configuring LDAP authentication and altering the domain active directory. This in theory allows you to log on to a domain like a PC. However the instructions don't work.

If you aren't using the Microsoft UAM file on these Macs you will probably want to do that. On OS 9 you can have the user's log in once going through the Chooser and then make an alias (highlight the volume icon, press Command-M) of the volumes and drag the alias into the "Startup Items" of the System Folder. They'll be presented with a login window when the Mac starts up (they can still cancel out of it and get into the machine). In OS X you should be able to do something similar by dragging an alias into the System Preferences/Login items window.

Or go through chooser and tick the box for the share on the server and it'll prompt you for username and password next time. Only downer is that you can cancel if you want.

AdmitMac is in progress and uses kerberos to authenticate which should help link to 2000 but its a way off yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back