Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authenticating via Referral Page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hautnueil

Programmer
Feb 21, 2002
US
I need to set up a site so that users are authenticated and allowed access only if they clicked on a link on a certain page... such as a link placed on an Intranet.

Passing a URL variable via the Intranet link is NOT an option because the variable would be visible to the user.

I checked "common CGI Variables" available to CF but I did not see HTTP_REFERRER listed.

Any thoughts, comments?

#cgi.http_referer# is Available but its not secure at all.. It doesn't always work.. Even when the user does come to a page from another link.. you could.. I dunno.. make the sending page write to a text file on your server called like...

#DateFormat(now(),"mmddyy")#/#TimeFormat(Now(),"hh")#.txt

You might also want to say..

<CFIF TimeFormat(Now(),&quot;mm&quot;) gte 55>
Then write to... #DateFormat(now(),&quot;mmddyy&quot;)#/#Evaluate(TimeFormat(Now(),&quot;hh&quot;)#.txt + 1).txt&quot;> That way they've got anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour and fifteen to get to the site..

Hope this helps..

Tony Hicks

And then in your authentication script.. use cffile to get the data and search it for their ip address?

That's the best way I can think up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back