Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authenticated User Access Only to Public Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDog

MIS
Aug 19, 1999
US
I know how to deny anonamous access to individual folders within the public folder directory, but is there any way to block ALL access to the public folders area to anyone that is not logged in?

The one way that I can think of is to set up permissions on your Public Folders to grant access to the default user group i.e. domain users.

This will require users to authenticate through your windows operating system to view the folders. If they do not log on to the domain they will not have the permissions to view the folders.

I did that and it does prevent anonymous users from seeing the folders themselves, but I was hoping to prevent them from even being able to browse the page where the folders would be listed (if they weren't hidden) in the first place. You know how the default Exchange OWA logon page has a link to "browse public folders"? I don't want nonauthenticated users to be able to get there.

I found this on microsoft's site and just unchecked the allow anonymous access box:

Setting Up Anonymous Access to Public Folders - To set up anonymous access to public folders, perform the following steps:
On the Windows NT Start menu, click Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click Microsoft Exchange Administrator.
Click the server you are configuring, and then open the Configuration container.
Click Protocols, and then double-click HTTP (Web) Site Settings.
Click to select the Allow anonymous users to access the anonymous public folders check box.
Click the Folder Shortcuts tab.
Click New to add folders for anonymous viewing, and select an existing folder in the Public Folders dialog box.
Click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back