Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authenticated by Server through VPN but cant access anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpressly

Technical User
Dec 9, 2006
US
Well the subject pretty much sums it up. I am very new to networking and I am in the middle of my first server setup. Everything seems to be working well inside the office, but myself, as well as several others in the company travel a great deal and will be needing to access the server remotely.

I have set up my user account with remote access and set up the server with routing/VPN. I have set up my laptop VPN connection and can log in. According to the login, I am successful and authenticated on the server, but I can not connect to network shared drives... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Frustrated...

Jason

It could be name resolution issue or routing issue. Can you ping the VPN server by IP? If yes, can you ping the server by name? These search results may help,

Browsing over VPN
Q: Browsing over VPN So far, so good. Now I am connected to the VPN and can surf at the same time. So now, how do I go about browsing my remote network? ...

Computer browser over VPN
Computer browsing over VPN involves routers, multiple segments and ... Alternatively, it is possible to browse over VPN by using LMHOSTS files on all VPN ...
http;//

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Now I am even more confused than before. I tried to ping the server IP address and timed out. I definately feel like part of the problem is name resolution. Although I thought WINS and DNS were to be really good with name resolution. I noticed this morning when I plugged my laptop back in to a CAT 5e dataport that it told me there was a name conflict when I booted up. I also can now not connect to the shared folders that I had been able to connect to on Friday.

I am just scratching my beginner head hoping that I am not in over it...

Jason

Use ipconfig in the RRAS server to find out the PPTP IP and then ping it from the VPN client? Can you do it? Also make sure not firewall blocks the ping.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back