Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auditing

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcephus

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
CA
It would appear that I am having problems auditing a folder and all its subfolder and files etc.

The first thing I have done was to go ahead and enable auditing object access in the group policy where all users are located. I then right-click on the folder I wish to audit, click secruity, click advanced and select the auditing tab. I then select the user/user group that I wish to have audited when they have accessed this file.

I have also went ahead and added the folder in question to the secure file setting in the group pplicy.

Anyone have any luck setting up auditing on windows server 2003? There must be a simple step that I am over looking. Thanks, and assistance is greatly appreciated.

I just found this out so forgive me if I don’t use the proper terms. There are two default policies in place here. One is called 'Default Domain Policy’ and the other one is called 'Default Domain Controllers Policy.' The one I was changing was the default domain policy which inherits its settings from the Default Domain Controllers Policy, and was why none of my changes took affect because by default auditing on objects is disabled on the Default Domain Controllers Policy.' So I went into MMC and group policy and then chose the 'Default Domain Controllers Policy.' After making the modifications there the policy took place. Hope that helps anyone with the same problem. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back