Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auditing user login/logout events

Status
Not open for further replies.

trifo

MIS
May 9, 2002
HU
Hi!

I would need to have someting like the output of last command sent to syslog. The information including who logged in from where, and when.

Now, I am fiddling with audit subsystem, but I am unable to get it collecting ftp/rsh login/logout data. Is there an easy way to accomplish this goal?

--Trifo

Mostly I use ssh and sftp, which logs auth info in the syslog well. Even though sometimes I need to use legacy servives as well, and at least I need to keep track if they are used.

I will have to hand over these boxes to a new admin and I want these event logs to be enabled when the handover is done.

--Trifo

Reading some more docs, I found, that the info I want to obtain may meg gained from _accounting_, not from _auditing_. The accounting - along other sources - processes wtmp info, which I need.

The only problem is that it is designed to run accounting daily. I would like to obtain wtmp info real time in syslog.

--Trifo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back