Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auditing NT users excel file usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to audit network users when accessing an excel file from a network share into a .txt file or something? I need to track users who access this excel file throughout the day to determine who is looking at it. Network is Windows NT 4.0 and I can see the users who have the file open in server manager but I can't continusously check that to see who has it open. Users access this excel file from a shortcut located on their desktops.
Thanks
Brian

NT auditing can be used to track the use of files, not just shares and printers.

By using this function (btw, right click on the file when sat at the server console screen, and select properties. Go through the tabs until you find Auditing) you will get entries in the event log under the security tab.

You can then filter the event log to see the entries for this. There are also tools which will allow you to export this information to text files etc.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy (Monty Python's The Life of Brian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back