Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audit Ellipse's table 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

moekti

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
ID
Anyone have experiences using Ellipse auditing procedure?
I've made the adf file, modified compile.xml to include adf elements. Recompiled all cobol related programs. Bounced ellipse application. Tried to do the online process but it seems the auditing process doesn't work - the audit table is still empty. Did I miss something?

Ellipse 5.2.3.7 - CICS - HP-UX

MoE

The problem has been resolved. It seems the adf file can not use wild card sign.

MoE

Have a star for making the effort to come back and answer your own question. It doesn't help me directly (yet?) but it might help someone some day.

Actually, you should be able to use wildcards in the audit plan.

e.g
Code:
* MSF920    to audit every program changing MSF920
MSO001 *    to audit every file changed by MSO001

The Audit facility is core Ellipse functionality and is documented in the User Reference under the General Module (3001) - which can be found on the infopack CD distributed by Mincom

Summary of spiel from that doco:
The Audit functionality provides a user-definable means of retaining and reporting on data creation, modification, and deletion details. All functions are defined by the user and can be modified as required.
The functions provided consist of:
• The recording of all transactions that modify those file(s) specified by the user. This includes Creation, Modification and Deletion functions.
• The regular transfer of these records to a separate file for reporting purposes.
• The reporting of these transactions. Reports can be produced as required and filtered by date range, userid, and operation type.
• The deletion of transactions (older than a specified date) from the reporting file.

The Audit facility uses the following system files:

Audit File - MSF033
This file is updated by all online or batch programs that update files nominated by the user to be audited. Transactions are stored in date, time and userid sequence. They contain after images of created records, before and after images of modified records, and before images of deleted records. In order to maintain optimum system performance, it is recommended that records held on this file should be regularly transferred, by the Audit File Transfer program (MSB033), to the Audit Playback file (MSF034) for reporting purposes.

Audit Playback File - MSF034
This file is updated by the Audit File Transfer program (MSB033), which transfers and deletes records from the Audit file (MSF033). All generated Audit reports are produced from this file.

Technical Comments on MSF033:

Physically there are 2 MSF033 database tables (MSF033A and MSF033B) to represent the MSF033 file. When you run MSB033, the active file is switched between A -B -A. However to allow for the fact that audit records may be currently writing to the active file, the inactive file is unloaded by MSB033 and then this file is made the active file. The previously active file will complete whatever was being written (or not) and lie dormant until the next time you run MSB033. Therefore to see records that have just been written, you need to wait until the next MSB033 run unloads that file. Typically may be daily or weekly depending on sensitivity and requirements.

I have found that, during testing and running MSB033 in immediate mode, it is safest to run it MSB033 twice in succession to ensure that the data from MSF033A or B is successfully transferred to MSF034

The active file info is stored on MSF083 against MSB033, and is updated by MSB033 (last run data).

Report Programs cannot use the MSF033 file (MSF033a and MSF033b tables) except for macro generate code. MSF034 is the one that rdl can see.

RDL Reporting programs can be auto-generated. But can also be individually coded and can (for example) be used as extract tools as part of an interface.

Perhaps run some SQL queries on msf033a and msf033b and msf034 to see if *any* data is getting logged.

Or, make sure the cobol programs (MSOs) which have been recompiled are refreshed in CICS (CEMT command)

PhantomPhil,
Thanks a lot for your explanation.
Sorry I didn't explain my problem clearly.
I want to audit PR header deleting process in MSF230.
So I create the following ADF file:
MSS* MSF230 ==> but it didn't run.
That's what I mean the wildcard can't be used in ADF file.

But if it's changed to
* MSF230
or
MSS230 MSF230 ==> it run well

SPV,
the star should go to PhantomPhil for his valuable post!

MoE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back