Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio Problem, Animal Control - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrvous

Technical User
Dec 9, 2003
US
Last year I adopted/rescued a large, aggressive German Shepherd from the animal shelter. He kept biting friends and family until I accidentally discovered the cure: the music of Jim Nabors. He loves Mr. Nabors Christmas songs and instantly becomes a playful joyous pet when I played it on the CD player...until it broke.

So, I downloaded all of the MP3's from a subscription site and began to play them on my Sony laptop: Bob(dogs name)immediately began to snarl and howl, more vicious than ever and chased me into the closet.

Trying again later with a different song, shazam! - he calmed right down and was happy as before.

I notice the song he liked has a higher (320?) "bit-rate" than the rest, which he hates. Could that be it? What is a "bit-rate" and where can I find out more about this?

Please help us.

Thanks!

Ed & Bob

*Bitrate is the average number of bits that one second of audio data will consume. *

The bitrate is the amount of sound information that the file is holding per second. Thus, a higher bitrate means that the sound will be more clear and crisp, but the MP3 file will take up more room on the harddrive due to this extra data. You may have noticed that streaming music from, say, an Internet radio station, will send you music that sounds hollow and weak. This is because Internet streaming will use lower bitrates in order for the stream to not take up too much bandwidth (a bitrate of maybe 24k/s or 64k/s). Most MP3s will have a bitrate of 128k or 192k, which is sufficient for most purposes. CD's, on the other hand, transfer at a bitrate of 1411 kBit/s (PCM-wav file, not MP3). This is also why a standard audio CD can only hold about 20 tracks, while a CD of only MP3 files can hold about 150. The bitrate (and thus, the file size) of MP3s are much lower.

This has nothing to do with the question. I am just curious as to how you are able to keep the dog? If my dog starts biting my friends then my family and than me?!! I wouldn't have a dog anymore. (And I am a dog lover, GO Bulldogs!!!)
Maybe you are being sarcastic and I fell for it!!

The only sounds that your vicious dog really needs to be hearing is the sound of your foot going up his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back