Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio is on one channel, can I double it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdbowling

Programmer
Mar 28, 2003
US
Hello, all.

I am using Adobe Premiere 1.5 on Windows XP.

I imported some footage from my camera and I must have had the settings in a weird position when I was shooting. There is only audio on one channel.

When I view the wave form in the editor, the top channel has the sound. The bottom channel is empty. Can I double it? Can I create two and switch one to the bottom channel? I just want to make it in stereo instead of mono. I don't have any advanced plugins, so I am open to using third party software to manipulate the .avi or a .wav. Freeware or trial versions preferred but on no other choice, I would buy something.

Thanks all.
Patrick

Free ezine content at . Targeted articles for targeted zines.

This is a built-in facility. Look in the audio effects for something like 'fill left' or fill right' (the name varies slightly between versions).

Yes, I tried the 'fill' functions. i select the audio clip in the timeline, drag a 'fill left' or 'fill right' instance onto the time line on top of the clip and nothing happens. Do I need to render the workspace or something to see if it has taken effect?
P

Free ezine content at . Targeted articles for targeted zines.

You may need to render the audio before the effect will take. Try it!

For some reason, I've never been quite satisfied with the Fill effects. Maybe I was using it wrong or something. As I already had Goldwave, I generally used that to fill out a missing channel. The plus side of using Goldwave is that I could see the audio waveform MUCH better and do better edits.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Problem with Goldwave is that is doesn't write out a video file, only audio. So if I have that problem I tend to use Sound Forge, which lets me write the resulting audio back into an AVI file.

I've not had any complaints with the fill effects, but have long used a stereo splitter adapter to feed both stereo mic channels from a mono mic input to avoid the issue in the first place.

Problem with Goldwave is that is doesn't write out a video file, only audio."

Oh man, for me, that's a bonus. I prefer that! if I'm going to make an audio change, i don't want to make up a whole new AVI file for it, nor do I want to modify my existing AVI file.

"I've not had any complaints with the fill effects..."

Could be how I use it. Or maybe I like seeing big waveforms and really seeing all the details.

"...have long used a stereo splitter adapter to feed both stereo mic channels from a mono mic input to avoid the issue in the first place."

Well... yeah, normally that's a good idea. I'll look for one of those and be sure I mark it clearly in my bag.

I'm a weirdo -- I jigged up a stereo microphone jack to accept two separate mono mic inputs so I could drop two mics into a scene (I'm always in sync and it's like having a bonus audio track in editing!). Ever since then, I've tended to always work in a mono world.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

If you have Premiere CS3, you can split out the two parallel mono channels and use them separately on the timeline.

If you have earlier versions, you can only do it inside Premiere with a second copy of the audio part of the clip and the fill effects.

Some people use 32k audio to record two parallel audio tracks (not simultaneously created, though. To get at those in sync, the best way I know is to capture using scene detect in Scenalyzer (for DV only) using the option to capture the second stereo pair into a WAV file. With in and out points synced to the main AVI, the WAV can easily be lined up for sync on the timeline.

If you like big audio waveforms, you can always drag the height of the audio tracks.

If you like big audio waveforms, you can always drag the height of the audio tracks."

Never was able to figure out how to do that in premiere 6.5. Presumably it's possible in CS3, but that's still pretty new to me. I learn more every time I sit down at it! 8)

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Just drag the bottom of the track in the track title area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back