Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

audio cassette tapes to digital format for posting on the web... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flasher

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
HI, a client would like to post some tapes on the web. How do they go about getting them into digital format so that it can be available on their web site? I only know how to work with it once it's already an mp3, wav file etc. before that point I am clueless...She wants to know what's involved financially, technologically etc..

Also, from a web designers' point of view, which format is best to use? mp3s, wav's etc... I know mp3s are the smallest file size but perhaps there are some other factors here that I'm forgetting. thanks in advance.

MP3s are the best, in my opinion. They take up less space, download faster, stream faster, etc.

To get a tape into MP3 format, you need to have a tape player with a line out (or headphones). You will need to get a small 3.5 mili - 3.5 mili wire to run from that output into either the mic or the line in slot on your computer.

The actual recording is fairly simple. There are many programs that are good for this.

CoolEdit is very good. There is a trial version, for download ( but I think that the limit of saves is really small. The full version is around $200 (I think).

MusicMatch is also good. CoolEdit is better, but this program is free. I don't think you'll have any problems with getting the recordings to MP3 format.

A couple of things to be aware of:
If you get no sound (or low sound)--make sure that the volume for the line in or mic (whichever one you are using) is set to max, and that it is not muted.

If you are getting distorted sound--lower the volume on the tape player.

I think that's all you need to know to make excellent quality recordings.
Rick

thanks. this is so helpful! I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back